Wednesday, September 29, 2010

An American in Douai

Aside from the train station fiasco, France and I have made peace and become friends.  Douai sits outside of Lille and is my current residence.  I'm living in a dorm room at the Ecole des Mines, something I haven't really experienced before.  Four other assistants live on my floor, three from America and one from England (I tend to think with a British accent after speaking with her).  So far I haven't done anything too exciting besides exploring the city.  Douai has amazing shopping...not that I'm doing any of that, but maybe in the future. 

I frequently visit Le Match, the supermarche closest to my dorm usually to buy something for lunch and each time American music is playing.  Being American is apparently a benefit.  I can find my culture anywhere!  Including translations of Twilight and Uncle Ben's rice jazzed up French style.  The disadvantage is obviously the food.  I have had some of the best food since my arrival.  My first full day here I ate at La Creperie.  Crepes are of course a French staple, but I have now experienced a crepe is its most superb form: the Galette.  Oh yeah.  A galette is a lunch or dinner crepe.  I ordered the club galette filled with gruyere cheese, ham, and an egg.  C'est magnifique!  Is it sad that the most interesting event since my arrival has been my first meal?...no

A Bientot

1 comment:

  1. So so happy to see you have a blog!! I'm loving it already. makes missing you a little less heart-breaking:(
    if you haven't had pain au chocolat today...what are you thinking?

    ReplyDelete