Saturday, September 25, 2010

Waiting for the train Day 1




Highlights from Day 1
1 nice woman from Prague 
2 encounters with body odor before leaving the airport
2 hostile "madams"--I should pay more attention
18 consecutive looks of disdain for the clumsy American with an absurd amount of luggage 
2 very stressful train rides 
2 very sore feet
1 cut on my hand from absurdly heavy luggage 
1 excruciatingly long and painful walk to a second train station involving an absurd amount of luggage and stairs 

I've picked up to pieces of wisdom in my first days in France. 1) I am the crier of the family and 2) never...ever...ever bring three bags of luggage to Europe...never.  If you can't carry it up or down a flight of stairs without the help of 2 very friendly Frenchmen you don't need it.  

My flight to Paris was uneventful, thankfully, however never having been forced to take public transportation I was unprepared for what came next.  After buying my ticket and heaving the absurd amount of luggage I've already mentioned around the airport/ train station, I finally found the platform.  If only it was 9 3/4 life would be easy, but there was no mention of which platform led to which train.  After asking several people I found the right train and thus came the 18 consecutive looks of disdain.  Most people were willing to help the sad and pathetic looking American and for that I am eternally grateful, but I have learned my lesson.

After all of that, I do love this city.  It's beautiful and I can't wait to start working and explore more of France. 

Just waiting for the train that first day in Lille I know I can do just about anything 

A Bientôt 

Leslie 

2 comments:

  1. i know you are going to have tons o fun, just wish I could be there with you! ps, we did plenty of crying on this side of the pond too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will do our best to take care of Amy while you are away. And we loook forward to following yuor adventures there. Take care and enjoy the WONDERFUL bread!!!!! My tummy is uber jealous ;0)

    ReplyDelete